Yesterday I got a SHOCKING phone call...it went like this...
"Did you get a pink slip? Today is the last day for them" If you don't get a pink slip by Mar 5th then they cannot fire you (it's in our contract). Then my friend continued... "They pink slipped EVERYONE who has Hired in 2004 or later! " That is huge over 200 teachers!! "When did you start?" 2003 --November made cuts by 1 1/2 months. Looks like I have at least 1 year left if I choose next year who are they going to cut? And just who do they think is going to take classrooms with that many students? My colleagues were crying and teary all day as they looked towards their uncertain future. Wouldn't it make more sense to encourage people to retire give 'em the old "Golden handshake?" They cost more and they generally are bitter and what not anywayz AND no one wants to go into education so there prob. won't be replacements...oh the future is in fine hands.
1 comment:
This is horrible. I was recently asked about positions at our school and had just read your post. We haven't had layoffs but definitely no hiring happening They just increased the full time teachers' possible roster numbers so they won't have to pay the part timers. If it wasn't so serious i would laugh about people wanting to get into teaching in CA. I wonder if this is happening nation wide or just in our well managed state?
Post a Comment